Sunday, June 23, 2013

Two Tiongs


 I have been watching two Tiong birds ( Grackle or Hill Myna) that have found  home in one very tall dead tree at the park.  For more than a month now, they have without fail made it a point to return home daily to their nest in a hole up in the tree between 5 - 6 pm.  This schedule is fine with me because during that time I could kill two birds with one stone.  This is because their nest is just about 20 meters close by  the highest viewing point at Zone I which is my favourite lookout point for the Bintulu sunset.  It is my fervent hope that soon , maybe I could see a Tiong chick peep out from the hole in the tree.  In the meantime I would like to share some pictures that that tell the story of these two Tiongs.
Grackle or Hill Myna - Tiong in Malay (Gracula religiosa)

This Tiong just flew out of the nest, which is a hole in the tree.

Tiong in flight to perch on a branch.

Tiongs have immense repertoire of notes, some melodious while others are noisy and raucous.

Tiong peeping out from nest.

Tiongs more often than not are always in pairs and are popular cage birds because they can be trained to imitate the human speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment