Thursday, November 21, 2013

A pair of Chestnut-breasted Malkoha

Chestnut-breasted Malkoha - male

 Today is the third time the malkoha birds dropped by at the park within this year.  They are the largest malkoha species on this great island of Borneo and fortunately can be viewed at the Kambatik park. However, what's significant today is the fact that the Chestnut-breasted Malkoha came in a pair.  The malkoha birds moved silently.  I only noticed them when I was walking near Botanic Island One.  I saw something big passing in front of me in colours of blue.  I immediately focused my camera lens on a moving object among the thick cover of leaves.  It was the female of the species that I managed to photograph first.  Later I walked to Botanic Island Two to watch the male of the species hopping from branch to branch .   I am glad that I have preserved the original lowland rainforest ecology at the park by creating three ecological enclaves termed Botanic Island One, Two and Three.  In the islands are thousands of insects like bees, caterpillars, and small animals like lizards that the malkohas can feed on.

Chestnut-breasted Malkoha - female
The female malkoha has red-orange iris and a broader band from chin to ear-coverts.

Chestnut-breasted Malkoha - male
The throat and underside of body is a rich chestnut colour.
It's back, wings and tails are a glossy blue-green.



MY facebook cover page depicting the Chestnut-breasted Malkoha

No comments:

Post a Comment