Monday, April 13, 2015

Second sighting of the Dollarbird

Dollarbird (Eurystomus orientalis) - Tiong Batu (Malay)
Zone I
 
 

Dollarbird seen from a distance
Location : Licuala Hill, Zone I
Walking up the Licuala Hill I noticed an unusual shape of a bird perching on a tall dead tree.  This tall tree was always been the favourite perch of the Hill Myna birds.  Sometimes the Blue-throated Bee-eaters may drop by to rest on this tall tree.  But today was different.  The profile or silhouette was different.  I climbed higher the hill in order to get a closer view.  The top picture shows the closest range I could get close to the Dollarbird.  It's a beautiful bird for its unmistakable red bill against a blue body.  Today's sighting is the second that I have come across this rather solitary bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment